When I saw as part of my assignment to make a fermented food the first thing I thought about was how great it would be to make my own kombucha beverage. Unfortunately, time is of the essence to I decide to make something else, just as exciting which are pickles.
Easy Pickle With Apple Cider Vinegar
- Trim, wash and dry all pickle cucumbers and set them aside for pickling.
- Add sea salt, apple cider vinegar, and sugar to a small sauce pan and bring to boil.
- Add garlic cloves, pepper-flakes to boiling juice.
- Add boiled pickle juice to raw pickles inside the mason jar making sure all ingredients are submerged.
- Seal with lid and store in refrigerator immediately.
- Pickles were place in the fridge for 2 weeks but can be stored for up to 3 months unopened.
Overall, this was an exciting experience. I never thought in a million years I would be making pickles as part of a school project. It didn't quite turn out how I imagined... I was expecting it to look and taste more like store bought but it didn't fulfill my expectations. Next time I would allow it to ferment longer than just two week to maximize the overall outcome. I appreciated the contrast between the sweet and salty with a little kick of spiciness. The crunch was pretty awesome too and the overall smell was pleasant given that apple cider vinegar has a potent scent.